“Well, an’ haven’t you got the nerve! Showin’ up like this after betrayin’ the lot of us!” -- Source -- I gingerly eased my shoulders back and forth as I searched for a proper simile. “I feel as though I’ve been run over by a train - a long one - and then maybe drug behind it, just for...laughs.” “What did they do to you?” He asked suddenly, as if the question had been wrenched out, unawares. -- “But. .. but...you were a lad. And...now ‘tis a skirt you’re wearin’?” Thatch laughed. “Well, Janus, you do get about!" -- Thatch shifted his knapsack to his back, then offered me his left arm in a gallant gesture. We proceeded out of the shadowy alley and into the rectangles of light glowing from the windows and doors of pubs and bawdy houses. There had been few people in the back streets, but now the way was full of passers-by and loiterers, all seemingly in various stages of intoxication. “These sailor men certainly do take advantage of thei...
I really like this, Janie!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom!
Delete