Kindnesses (A Remembrance of 2017)





The soul must cling, sometimes, to memories,
The counting up of kindnesses
And things that make this life a good one:

Chappa lady telling me:
"Don't take those words to heart."
Salted fish and xima on the stairs.
Notes written in a childish scrawl:
For Janie in America
A rubiks cube
Skipping class to make sure I got home
The little gifts
Bright words in the darkness
Closenesses of knowing, being known
The bringing up of festered confrontations
In hopes of understanding and of peace
Eye contact and the honesty of words:
"I almost lost a friend."
(When I hadn't thought it mattered any more).
Long Whatsapp calls
And emails,
Late- night chats
That offered me a lifeline far from home.
The conversations where I cried,
And said mean things,
Accused
Yet still was sure of being loved.
Chocolate
Rusks
A teapot wrapped and warm
Coming in the rain to say goodbye.

Nicknames:
Hermana, maninha, and of course, madame
Facebook message:
Is there any way you could still come?
Breakfast in the early hours,
Pre-dawn.
And all the times of simply listening
Coffee
Walking
Confidences given
Shenanigans with family and with friends
Little jokes and silences
(And food)

All the things across the language, continent, and cultural divides
The little things you've all by now forgotten
The kindnesses that told me I am loved.




Written in response to Art Stew 52 prompt: Kindness

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting

Fairweather Blue